Wednesday, January 29, 2014

16. The genesis of HR 1724

When Shannon Stone's conviction finally made national headlines, Senator Alan Wells (D-WA) was having breakfast with his wife in their home in Bellingham.  It was Susan Robson-Wells who reacted first.

"So now it is illegal to ask trespassers to leave your own property?  Even with police collaboration?  What is this country coming to?"

"Coming to a turning point in American history where it is do or die," said the senator calmly.

"That's a broad statement, darling, but I know what you mean.  So, what are you going to DO about it?"

Two days later, a phone rang in a farm house in western Pennsylvania.  "Hello, is Ms. Shannon Stone there please?"

"Speaking."

"Ms. Stone, my name is Barbara Scott.  I am the executive secretary of Senator Alan Wells.  The senator would like to speak with you, if you don't mind."

"No, I don't mind.  Please put the senator on."

"One moment please."

"Hello, this is Senator Alan Wells, Washington state.  How are you, Ms. Stone."

SS:  "Thanks for asking, Senator, I am fine, considering."

AW:  "Yes, considering, which leads to why I am calling.  So let me get straight to the point.  I am considering sponsoring a bill to protect the Constitution from being undermined by contradictory and contravening state-level laws."

SS:  "I'm listening."

AW:  "And that, if and when a conflict arises between the two, the Constitution shall prevail."

SS:  "This sounds better and better all the time, Senator.  I wish you luck."

AW:  "It is not luck that I need, Ms. Stone.  I need your help."

SS:  "How?"

AW:  "By testifying in the congressional hearing when it happens, as my star witness."

SS:  "I'll be there.  Count on it.  Just let me know when."

AW:  "Before I do, I need to ask you just one yes/no question."

SS:  "Sure."

AW:  "Have you been totally truthful in your answers under direct- and cross-examination during the trial?"

SS:  "Yes, 100%."

AW:  "Good enough, Ms. Stone.  Thank you in advance for your cooperation and support.  I'll be in touch."

SS:  "Thank you for your trust, Senator, and for taking this initiative." 

Within a month, the bill had acquired a number:  HR 1724

No comments:

Post a Comment